Wednesday, September 18, 2013

tomorrow is the IEP

  • My last attempt at an IEP....looking back...was a flop.
  • It was a flop for me and for my son.
  • I did not have a grasp of what I needed or what my son needed
  • I brought lots of people in but they had about as much information as I did
  • I am nervous
  • Nash is in 2nd grade now he needs more
  • I need him to want more
  • I want more
  • I have my list of things to ask for
  • I am more prepared
  • I have a viable diagnosis this time
  • Someone saw what I finally saw last year
  • And...they saw more than I even thought was there
  • I got very scared
  • I had huge doubt that I was the parent for this child
  • I am still scared
  • I never thought I was good enough for a child with special needs
  • Those parents always seem like they were breed to take on a child with special needs
  • My therapist said I was the perfect parent for a child with special needs
  • I thought she was crazy!
  • I remember going to the hospital almost 18 years ago knowing there was something wrong with my baby that I was pregnant with.
  • I was being rushed from Santa Maria hospital to a level 3 hospital in Santa Barbara
  • I was with my husband, my Mom and my mother-in-law...and we were being rushed 
  • I could feel it was bad
  • I prayed that if my son was going to need anything or be special needs...that I was not a good enough person to have him
  • I prayed that he not survive
  • What a double edge sword that was
  • He died
  • I felt the most guilt....ever
  • I live with that guilt all the time
  • And when Nash came along
  • I expected perfect
  • I knew that something was off all along
  • I never thought it would be this
  • More guilt
  • I asked everyone
  • doctors
  • daycare
  • other parents
  • then
  • teachers
  • school staff
  • and then
  • one day
  • October 22, 2012
  • it rained
  • and something was revealed
  • It took all this time
  • to see what Nash was
  • he is perfect for me
  • Nash is my odd little duck
  • There are days that I swear I am going to pull my hair out because he frustrates me so
  • I listen to him repeat a million things......over and over
  • I listen to him tell me about a movie...that he has seen once
  • and has it memorized
  • He can recited the names of the players in all of the episodes of this seasons Wipeout
  • every single one!
  • He talks to me in movie-speak and I smile because I know exactly what movie it came from
  • I know he only eats chicken nuggets from McDonald's and Foster Farms
  • and I know he will only eat KRAFT Macaroni & cheese, made the regular way not instant!
  • and Pop Tarts....in brown sugar sugar-man flavor
  • and eggies with sprinkles.....black & white please.
  • Not salt & pepper
  • there is no such thing as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in our home
  • peanut butter only
  • and he likes to tell me that he hates hot cheetos
  • but he has no idea...he has never tried them
  • but saw them once at school...and they were red!
  • Nope....never
  • Nash is my baby
  • it has taken me 8 years to finally become the parent he needs
  • I am scared that I won't live up to his challenges
  • but I know....no one would fight as hard as I will
  • so, maybe I am the perfect parent for him
  • I can only try

No comments:

Post a Comment